Thursday, January 26, 2012

Something I'll Keep

Scott has a recliner in our family room that is sort of his "office."  He reads and works on his laptop there.  I had a couple of small end tables - one by the couch and one by his chair that were overflowing with books, paperwork, etc.

We talked about getting rid of the two small tables and replacing it with something a little more substantial to give him some room for his stuff.

So, I started looking for the perfect piece...it needed to have storage, couldn't be very deep and had to be about 36 inches tall.  Oh, and really cheap.

I found a desk at Goodwill that fit the bill.  It was five dollars.  That fit the cheap part.  It had drawers, that fit the storage part; and it was the right size.  The only problem was, it looked like a desk and was REALLY ugly.

Of course, I took no "before" picture, but just picture a really ugly five dollar desk.  There.  And this is what we turned it into.
Scott rebuilt one of the sides - it was angled, and added the shelves. 
I painted it black and added new hardware.  It was the first project we worked on together in the workshop; nice and toasty with snow falling outside.
I LOVE it.  Perfect size, I can shove all of his stuff into the drawers when we have people over and it was certainly the right price.  Yay!  I need to go to Goodwill more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment