Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Nook

It took awhile, but I came up with an idea for Maggie's class for their auction donation this year.  (Someone else took on Jake's class this year - whoo hoo!!)

I thought it would be fun if each family donated their favorite book; we've gotten some great reads donated so far!  But we didn't just stop there.  Maggie Doodle Designs added a couple of things to make it super special - a ready-made book nook.

This old chair had been in our basement for years.  Scott bought it at a thrift store when we first moved here and I had painted and recovered it then.  (Notice the kitty string art in the background. A rainy-day craft...)

Anyway, we really didn't have room for this chair anymore after we did a little rearranging.
And then there was this cool vintage door/shelf that Scott had made for Maggie's room way back when.
It had originally been pink; I painted it this color when we redid her room recently, but it just didn't fit anymore with the built-ins we did.

So, it also got a facelift.

And here is the final result: chair.
Made a fun throw pillow to go with it...
...which matches the curtain on the door.
Scott built the shelves so the door would stand up on its own; he's pretty handy that way.
One mom decided this guy needed to go with her family's favorite book - "Stand Back Said the Elephant, I'm Going to Sneeze."  Love it!
Wish I had a little place in my house that needed a ready-made book nook.
If you want it; it will be auctioned off on April 14...let me know, I can do a phone bid for you. :)

3 comments:

  1. Very cute!! Love the elephant too. A great idea, as usual:)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I would deliver it to you. :) Good excuse for a road trip!!

      Delete