Friday, September 11, 2009

We're Like Squirrels!

We've been very industrious the last few months. We planted a garden and have been harvesting like mad. The kids have had a blast and Jake proclaimed, "We're like squirrels - saving up food for winter!" during one carrot-picking session. Mom was nice enough to share some of her green beans, since mine didn't turn out so great; and we have a great sweet corn stand in Willmar, so we decided not to plant any of our own. And so, it's been on to the canning and freezing process.
I canned 26 pints and 14 quarts of beans; froze 44 pints of corn; froze rhubarb, raspberries and zuchinni; roasted & froze red peppers; froze 15 quarts of spaghetti sauce (roasted in Grandma Schoon's big blue roasting pan) and then I started in on the soup.

I made vegetable beef soup with barley to freeze and used my ginormous (it's a word...) stockpot. The result from one pot of soup - 14 quarts!!

So now I am on to the apples. We have one tree. It produces about three million apples every year. I am planning to make pies, crisps, cobblers, sauce...any other ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Sending some to your favorite sister??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara's been doing her own...just kidding!! I love you both. What is that you want?

    ReplyDelete