Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Favorite Things

I've been asked to decorate a Christmas tree that will be sold at the hospital's annual gala this year.  We used to call the event the Festival of Trees and would auction off about a dozen fully decorated trees every year.  They would go for thousands of dollars.  Eventually, they weren't selling as well, because everyone already had one from a previous year, so we decided to stop doing that.

Fast forward several years and the committee decided it was time to have a tree again.  But just one.  And I'm designing it.  Gulp.  It will be donated (funded) by the hospital foundation's board of directors.  I happen to be on the board, which is why they asked me to do it.  None of the men really wanted to. :)

My theme (drum roll goes here) is "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music.  I'm leaving out a few things (like the roses and kitten whiskers), but I think it will be fun.  I got to go to the Minneapolis Gift Market - the wholesale market where retailers go to buy their stock.  So, I was able to order a tree and some decor at cost.  My little sis' came and helped me focus on what I really needed to accomplish. (I get distracted by shiny things.)

I am excited to get everything in and get started decorating.  The gala is November 9, so I will have a Christmas tree in the family room for the month of October instead of pumpkins.  I'll post some pictures of the vision in my head once it's on the tree.

In the meantime, just picture brown paper packages tied up with string, warm woolen mittens, blue satin sashes, snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes, sleighbells, bright copper kettles...

No comments:

Post a Comment