Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Long Time...

Yes, it's been a really looooonnnnng time since I blogged. Just wasn't feeling it. Sorry to disappoint my two followers. :)

Anyway, school has started after an extremely busy summer filled with family, fun, cardboard boat races and such.

Here are my fourth and fifth graders.  (I know, can you believe it?  They were just born a couple of years ago...really fast learners, these two.)

They are both enjoying school; Jake is in band (percussion) and has been faithfully practicing his drums and bells.  Mags is continuing with piano and is much better than her mother ever was.

School means a little more time for Mom to do some projects. 
I've been wanting an ottoman or two for my wingback chairs; this little footstool that I got for a dollar at a garage sale was the perfect height.  I was going to paint it, but decided I liked the wood and just recovered it with a scrap of fabric I had.

I got this old crate at another garage sale; (spent another buck) and painted something on it that makes me smile every time I see it:  Schoon Family Farms; Established 1945; Sibley, Iowa.  Grandpa and Grandma were married in 1945...I realize they didn't live in Sibley at the time, but that's where I remember all the good times.
Maddie and I found this little table at a thrift store this summer and decided to do something with it, but ran out of time while she was here.
I used a really dark stain on the top after Maddie sanded it down and then printed a vinyl stencil with my silhouette machine.  I put the vinyl on and then spray painted the whole table and peeled the vinyl off while it was still wet.  When it was dry, I used an antiquing glaze over the top and then a sealing wax.


Last summer, I got this old vanity door from Lauri and it sat in my workshop for a year.  I got tired of moving it around the workshop, so I decided to do something with it.  It is now a wall hanging.

And finally, I bought this little table at a thrift store for five bucks about a year ago and it has also been sitting in my workshop ever since.  I didn't take a "before" picture, but it was dark wood, except for the top, which was blond formica.  Ick, ick, ick.  I primed it and painted it blue, then added the Union Jack to the top.  I finished it off with the antiquing glaze (I am loving that stuff!!) and distressed the whole piece. 

However, I am far from done.  I have been asked to donate pieces to four (yes, four) charity auctions and so I still have some work to do.  Lucky for me, I have two dressers, a child-sized rocking chair, a side table shelfy thing, a basket tower and a set of shelves in my workshop all waiting for some magic.

I'll post pictures of those in another year or two... :)

2 comments:

  1. You are crazy talented - love your projects! And a workshop too...my dream! Count me as one of the two.
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am another.... It's fun watching all these things take shape. Not quite sure where those creative genes came from though:)

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete