Wednesday, February 1, 2012

To Fill A Shelf...

I am the Room Mom for Maggie's class this year, which means I get to figure out something her class can donate for our annual auction.

When we redid Maggie's room, we no longer had room for a shelf that Scott and I made out of an antique door.  I also had a chair in our basement that really served no purpose.  So....I thought, and thought, and thought a little bit longer.  Could the kids help paint it?  (Disaster loomed in my imagination...) Then this popped into my head, "It's like a little ready-made reading nook, without any books."  Aha! 

So I asked each family to donate new copies of their favorite book/books/series, whatever.  It has been so much fun to see what people are coming up with.

So far, this is what I have:
The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
The Action Bible (it's a comic book bible - cool!)
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richmond
Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Somewhere More Holy by Tony Woodleif
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

And that's only from 6 families!!  I will take some before and after pictures of the furniture; I've already made the curtain (yes, the cool antique door shelf has a window with a curtain - the curtain rod is an old bent hanger) and recovered the chair cushions in some funky fabric.  I can't wait to see it all pulled together.

What books would you recommend?  Any favorites from childhood or that you've read to your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment