Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Kitchen

I have a good-sized kitchen.  Plenty of counter space, an area for a table, and lots of cabinet space.  I even have some empty cabinets.  Gasp!
A nice big pantry behind those closet doors.
It's been a great kitchen. 
However, when we moved in ten years ago, Scott said, "Those countertops need to go."  And ten years later, here they still are.  They are ok, but not awesome.  You can't see it in the picture, but they are not really white.  Kind of off-white, with a little basket-weave pattern in them.  Yep.  Basket-weave.  And the little peninsula area?  Every few weeks, I have to take that drawer out and tighten the screws that hold the peninsula in place. It's always a little wobbly.
And this is the worst part of my kitchen.  When we bought the house, there were brass plates with white knobs for hardware.  I thought I would just remove the plates and replace the knobs.  Well, the cabinets were stained with the plates in place (seriously!) and so there is unfinished, different colored wood where the plates were.  So I had to replace all the plates when I replaced the knobs.  Not so bad.  The problem is, they don't stay in place.  This is how they look on a frequent basis.  Whenever we have company, I walk around the kitchen straightening plates before they arrive. 

So, the plates are going.  Along with the countertops and sink.  The cabinets are being painted white, the countertops will be a darker granite and I am having a huge farmhouse sink installed.  I can't wait!   Pictures will be forthcoming.

1 comment: