Monday, October 17, 2011

Ye Olde Writing Desk

So here it is.  Mags and I decided to go with an old world look for our writing desk and chair. 
I made stencils with my Silhouette machine; an old-fashioned compass for the chair seat.
And a map of the world for the top of the desk.
I also added a quote by J.R.R. Tolkein to the front of the drawer:  Not all those who wander are lost.
I ended up spray painting the desk and chair, which I normally don't do, but given all the spindles and nooks and crannies in this piece, it seemed like the best thing to do.  After it was dry, I did the stencils with acrylic craft paint; let that dry and then sanded it a little bit to distress it.  I used a latex stain to "dirty" it all up; it kind of looks like old parchment.  I finished it all off with a coat of poly.  Adds a little shine and some protection.

I want to keep it.  Maybe Scott will buy it back for me.  I have about 15 bucks in materials into it; but a whole lot of time and effort, so hopefully it goes for more than that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment