Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Face Lift

So, I mentioned that Scott didn't really care for the color of our dining room/entry.  This is what is used to look like.  (At Christmas time, apparently.)  Notice the ceiling is the same color as the walls.  (It looks darker, but it is the same color.)  Grrrr.

And this is what it looks like now.  Ahhhh.  Scott requested drapes, so I made some and had to get the world's longest curtain rod.  (It's two cheap-o's from Ikea, stuck together.)
And here is the entry way.  We added beadboard, and used boat cleats to make a coat rack.  Changed the light fixture...(notice the big blue oars in the corner) and added a few other highlights.
This chair was one that I got for a few bucks at my favorite antique store.  All it needed was a coat of paint and some new fabric on the seat.

Mom and I found this Red Wing crock at a garage sale in Iowa this summer; I added an antique umbrella just because I wanted to. It never rains in Minnesota, you know.  (HAH.)
This board above the coat rack was something that Jake pulled out of a lake.  He finds the coolest stuff.
Got some funky new lamps for the front table. (LOVE Home Goods - thanks, Sara, for introducing me to that place!!)
Painted the interior of my front door black - the exterior was already black.
Added a big puffy Ikea chair and, a family picture, a funky sunburst mirror (another home goods score) and some new rugs.
And got this awesome table from Mom - she found it by the side of the road.  It's been sitting in her garage for awhile, I've been coveting it.  So, when she moved, she gave it to me.  That's my favorite way to decorate.
I found an old cheese salt sack at a junk bonanza in the Twin Cities and made it into a pillow for my puffy chair.  (It's where I sit and do my devotions in the morning - needed a little lumbar support!)
I love that it's from Chicago - reminds me of our time living there.  And kind of makes me hungry.  I like cheese.  And salt.
I am very happy with how it all turned out and just the fact that it's done.  I also repainted all of the trim, crown molding and doors.  Scott was right, the other color wasn't so good.  This is much more "us" and makes me happy every time I'm in there.

1 comment: