Sunday, May 15, 2011

Garage Sale for Haiti

It's over. Our highly anticipated garage sale is now history. Thank goodness! This was the brainchild of Jake and Maggie; in an effort to raise money for "Children of the Promise" Orphanage in Haiti.

So, we sorted through toys, cleaned out closets, cleaned out the workshop and garage and sold a TON of stuff. For all of the garage-sale naysayers, (which used to include me), I would say there really is not a downside. You get your garage cleaned out. You get your closets cleaned out. You make some money.

There are people who just give it all to the thrift store, which is great. I do a lot of that during the year. However, there are things I hold on to, just because I know what I paid for them. For me, mentally, thinking that I can sell it and recoup some of that cost, is easier on me. So, I am thankful the kids pushed me on this one.

The kids sold coffee, bottled water and rice krispie bars, and probably made a hundred bucks. That's what happens when people know it's going for something like Children of the Promise. They will pay twenty bucks for a cup of coffee. (We only charged 50 cents, but a neighbor handed Jake a 20 and told him to keep the change - you can probably visualize how big his eyes got!) I think we went through five or six air-pots of coffee - it was FREEZING and raining all day. I sat in the garage by a little heater to try and keep warm. People were seriously showing up in winter coats and gloves.

So today, I am sitting by the fire, celebrating my clean closets and taking it easy. Now if spring would finally arrive, I could get started on my garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment