Friday, April 16, 2010

One Project Down...

The mustard yellow seemed like a good idea at the time...looking back now, not so much. I have been planning to redo our bedroom for a few years now, ever since a contractor put a hole in our ceiling in the wrong place, patched it and I never painted over it. Every night, I would lie in bed and see the patch and the various places where mustard yellow sort of hit the ceiling and think, "I really need to get that done."

So, I finally started on a recent Saturday morning. First - the cleaning of the closet. Seven garbage bags full of clothes later (just from my side - and they're waiting for you, Maddie...), my closet and dresser were livable.


Then, we moved all of the furniture into the dining room and front entry - no front door for awhile. (Goodbye, dark oak furniture, you are so last decade...never really liked you anyway, but you were cheap...) And then the painting began. First the ceiling; then the walls; then all of the furniture (two nightstands and two dressers); then the ceiling fan blades; then caulking around the woodwork and repainting all of that and the doors and the window trim, even the parts that would be hidden behind the bed (because Grandpa Schoon always said to do it right the first time...).
Two coats on everything and four on the furniture. Hang new blinds (a one-hour project that turned into two days and involved a hack-saw). Make new drapes - I can sew straight lines at least.

Finally, aaah.
Scott said, "Wow, that looks great...we should do that in the other rooms, too." I think I'll just crawl into bed for awhile and rest first.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Could you please come and motivate me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Barb! I can't wait to see it in person. Quite a project!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete