Friday, January 29, 2010

Saved...

I was recently looking through old notebooks, reading journal entries and bible studies from time gone by. I used to be a lot better about writing down my thoughts. One entry hit me in particular. It's something I wrote probably four or five years ago. (I'm not always so good about writing down the dates of my scribblings...) Funny how God can use your own words to convict...

Saved For...

As Christians, when asked, most of us can come up with a long list of what we've been saved from - starting with eternal separation from God. Some may add abuse, addiction, any number of temptations, lifestyles and past history. It's easy to fall into the pattern of always looking back when talking about our faith. "I can't imagine where I'd be without Christ," is a comment I hear often. It's not a bad thing to look back.

The greater question, I believe, is what we've been saved for. Many things, in some respects. First and foremost, we need to "spread the word" about Jesus as the shephards did that first Christmas night. But as James 2 points out, talk is only talk unless you put some muscle behind it. (Paraphrased, to say the least.) Faith without deeds is dead. How much farther would I get in spreading the message of Christ and his love with my neighbors if I actually went out of my way to do something for them, rather than just spouting religious platitudes when it seemed appropriate?

If we, as Christians, can't show the world who He is by what we do; by taking care of our own and others, then who will? Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

No comments:

Post a Comment