Friday, September 30, 2011

My Son, the Turtle (and other stuff) Hunter


Jake has always loved to catch stuff. Squirmy, crawly, icky stuff, if you ask my opinion. But I love who he is, even if I'm a little afraid to check his pockets before I do the laundry.

This year, Jake has a male teacher for the first time; Mr. Saint. (For those of you who know the story of Jim Elliot, Nate Saint and the other missionaries who were killed by the Auca Indians in Ecuador; Jake's teacher is Nate Saint's youngest son.)

Anyway, Mr. Saint also likes squirmy, crawly stuff, so Jake has been catching things to give him.
Turtles, salamanders, snakes. Mr. Saint keeps these things in his room at school, and brings them home in the summer, where he raises crickets and mice to feed them. (His wife is a saint if you ask me...)

He also has a guinea pig named "Marshmallow" who Maggie is in love with. Jake is campaigning for me to let him bring Marshmallow home for a weekend. I will probably cave. Just as long as Marshmallow doesn't move in permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment