Monday, August 29, 2011

Getting Ready For School...

I am not ready for school to start. Not ready in the sense that I have not purchased one school supply. Not ready in the sense that not one article of school clothing has been purchased (other than tennies). Not ready in the sense that I am not looking forward to early mornings and not ready in the sense that I love having my kids home.

When I say that to my friends, they reply, "homeschool." And I can assure you that would not be a good idea for anyone involved. I love our school. I just wish summer was a month longer.

Anyway, we have been addressing the most important part of going back to school - lunch! We have a new hot lunch program this year and if it's anything like what we've had in the past, my kids will eat hot lunch about 10% of the time. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

So, we've been discussing what would be good to take in our lunches. Maggie loves vegetable beef soup with barley, so we made a boatload of that on Sunday and froze 36 baggies with enough in each baggie to fill her thermos in the morning. Jake loves chicken noodle soup, so we tried out a new recipe for that today (even made our own noodles) and it was delicious!! We will be making a boatload of that tomorrow and freezing bags for him.

And I will also get school supplies and clothes sometime this week. Jake has grown by leaps and bounds this summer; I think the spurts happen in a matter of minutes sometimes - I had to rip a button off a pair of shorts he was wearing, because they were too tight to get off. I have no idea how he got them on!

They are both excited about their teachers and ready to see their friends. Just not ready for the homework and the sitting still. And I totally understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment