Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Art of Making Pie & Other Things

My kids are still at the age where they like me, they want to do stuff with me, and they like to do stuff in the kitchen. So I am taking full advantage.

We had a bunch of fruit that needed to be used recently, so we whipped up some chocolate chip banana bread (Grandma Schoon's recipe, minus the nuts and cherries). Jake and Maggie are pros at mashing bananas and running the mixer.
Then it was on to pie. I had some peaches that someone gave me that were just screaming to be put into a pie crust and heaped with sugar. So that's what we did. And of course, what do you do with leftover pie crust?

Mmmmmm.

After the peach pie was in the oven, we moved on to mini raspberry pies. Jake learned how to cut in the shortening. (Sorry Schoon girls, I used Crisco, not lard. Didn't have any on hand.)

We rolled it out and put the bottom crust into our pans.
Lovely.
And then we filled them with raspberries, fresh off the bushes in our garden.
Top crust goes on...
Ready to pop in the oven!
Yum, yum, yum.


I'd invite you over to have some, but it's long gone. I'd like to think that someday their spouses will thank me for teaching them to make pie...

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, pie crust with Crisco instead of lard is okay (it's hard to get good lard these days!) BUT Grandma Schoon's banana bread without cherries and nuts is NOT Grandma Schoon's banana bread! But either way, I'm glad your kids are learning the "art".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lard is not hard to get at all ... just come to Woudstra's Meat Market!
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete