Monday, July 12, 2010

Laundry

No, this isn't to lament the piles and piles of laundry that get folded around here each week. I'm thankful for the washing machine and dryer; glad I don't have to beat the clothes against a rock in the lake and then hang them over tree branches to dry. I am thankful for detergent that smells fresh and for dryer sheets that make the clothes snuggly soft.

But mostly, I am thankful for a particular laundry basket. Every time I use it (which is almost daily), it reminds me of Grandpa and Grandma Schoon. (Not because of the mountains and mountains of laundry that I know Grandma washed, hung on the line and dried for years and years - not to mention all the folding, although that reminds me of the time I caught her refolding a display of towels at the Park Store because they weren't neat enough...). No, I am reminded of Grandpa and Grandma because I inherited this laundry basket when Grandma was downsizing.
I imagine the conversation went something like this: Grandma -"Another laundry basket broke. I wish they made them stronger!" Grandpa -"I can take care of that." Hence, wooden supports (routered and sanded, nonetheless...) screwed into the plastic.
I've had this laundry basket going on ten years now, still no cracks in the plastic! I think Grandpa would be pleased. I know I am - it makes me happy, even doing the laundry!

4 comments:

  1. I remember using that basket when hanging out clothes for Mom! I'm sure it was after I had left home and was just back visiting (since I've been gone over 30 years!). Even though I'm much quicker to throw things away for convenience sake (like plastic bags - instead of washing them and hanging them on the line to dry), I'm so thankful that I learned how to be frugal. And it makes me happy to see that clothes basket. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Grandpa - he could fix about anything. I think you should send the pictures and the story to Rubbermaid! Thanks for posting, Barb!
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) That is so great. I'm going to show it to Brent so he knows what to do in order to make sure our baskets withstand the 8 children we will have...oh wait. Scratch that. :-) [and LOVE that Gma refolded towels at the park store!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the memories! I have things that Grandpa repaired for me too - always think about him when I use them! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete