Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Borrowers

Jake and Maggie both stayed home from school today due to nasty colds, hacking coughs and slight fevers. I decided it would be a good day to introduce them to some old friends.

We spent the afternoon snuggled on the couch reading about Pod, Homily and their daughter, Arrietty. My mom introduced me to them when I was little and I always hoped we had Borrowers living in our house.


(For those of you who have never read The Borrowers, first of all, how sad. The author is Mary Norton - go check it out. Secondly, it is a series of books about really little people who live under the floorboards, behind clocks, etc. and "borrow" everything they need from "Human Beans." They use postage stamps as artwork, coins as plates and hat pins as weapons. Very resourceful, those Borrowers... Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen. Like what happened to Eggletina. But we don't need to talk about that.)


I'm pretty convinced we have them here - Monday night I brushed my teeth and went to bed. Tuesday morning, I got up, went to brush my teeth and my toothbrush was missing. Scott was at work when I went to bed and was still there in the morning, so I know it wasn't him. Neither of my kids were up during the night. I imagine a Borrower got ahold of it and made something useful from it.


I checked out all five Borrower books from the library - The Borrowers, The Borrowers Afield, The Borrowers Afloat, The Borrowers Aloft and The Borrowers Avenged. I may just stay up all night and read...I can't wait to get to the part with Spiller and Uncle Hendreary...

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of The Borrowers. Those sound like the perfect books for a nana to read to her little girl! Do you think 4 months is too young to start? ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete