Saturday, August 29, 2009

Black Hills, Part 2

I didn't quite include all of our Black Hills escapades in the last post, so I thought I'd add a few more. We stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA/Palmer Gulch Lodge. Most of my friends have given me very skeptical looks when I mention the KOA. A camper, I am not - I've done it, don't get me wrong, it's just not a vacation to me. To me, vacation is not cooking or making my bed. Anyway, since this trip was very last minute, there were not a lot of rental options available. We had to take what we could get, which worked out in our favor, since the only things available were the huge cabins. Ours slept 8. It was marvelous.


The campground was great; two huge pools, a splash park, waterslide, a huge bouncer and mini golf. They had hayrides, movie nights and a honkey-tonk group that sang every night - The Hill City Slickers. We never actually took part in that, but the swimming was great.



It also had a stable with 86 horses and a variety of trail rides to choose from, much to Scott's chagrin. Nevertheless, he was a good sport and the four of us saddled up (actually someone else did that for us) and headed off (behind our guide) into the vast unknown (a trail around the campground).



An hour and a half later, with very sore butts (for the adults) we were back in the corrall. We all slept great that night and had a very interesting breakfast the next morning; but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment