Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Favorite Footwear & Gainfully Employed

I have always wanted a pair of old, broken-in cowboy boots. Every time I went into a thrift store, I searched. And I always left empty-handed. Well, without cowboy boots, anyway.

A couple of years ago on our epic road trip out west and then up north and then home again, I hit paydirt.  Or cow pies.  However you want to see it.  We were driving through Montana and stopped in a one-horse town (literally) for gas.  On our way to the single gas station, we passed a "Flea Market" of sorts.  It was an empty lot with a bunch of junk strewn about on tables, and a few broken down cattle trailers stuffed to the gills.  Scott dropped the kids and I off to browse while he got gas.

I didn't even have cowboy boots on the mind, and then I climbed into one of the cattle trailers and I heard angels singing.  I swear a shaft of light fell directly onto the boots.  My size.  Complete with crust on the bottoms of them.  I kind of scraped that off on the side of the cattle trailer and asked the proprietor (who was missing a few teeth, but that is neither here nor there) how much they were.  "Eight bucks."  Which, in my opinion was a little spendy for the sort of place it was, but I didn't argue.  I handed over the money and I had my very own pair of kickers.
I actually wear them a lot.  Even to church. (ALWAYS with socks, mind you.  I think used shoes are a little gross - I even sprayed lysol in them before I wore them the first time.)  I always get compliments on them - best eight dollars I've ever spent.  If you ever have the chance to get some, you should.  They look good with everything.  Even jammies, especially if you're wearing your jammies out to the mailbox.

On another note, I have a new job.  I am the new promotions coordinator for the kids' school.  It's something I was doing anyway as a volunteer, but now I'm officially hired for ten hours a week.  I'll work from home mostly and pretty much set my own hours, so it's a great thing for me.  Finally using my college education again after all these years.  And even though I'll now be raking in the dough (haha - not really), I still think eight bucks was too spendy for that place in Montana.

1 comment: