Sunday, January 13, 2013

Before and after and before and after...

I decided to spruce a few things up over New Year's while we were in sunny-but-not-so-warm Arizona. I've been wanting to try Chalk Paint for awhile, but alas, I cannot buy it in Willmar. But I can buy it in Phoenix.  So I did, and decided to try it out on the vanity in the kids' bathroom.
Ugly, builder-grade oak (didn't get a picture before I had the doors off...)

And here it is after, with a finishing coat of aging wax.  I'm not sure what I think.  I don't hate it, but I'm not totally in love with it, either.
I had to get a new shower curtain, because the dark wax turned the paint color a little more greenish and the old curtain totally clashed.  It really does look better than this in person, hard to get a bathroom shot on your iphone.  The knobs are crystal owls from Hobby Lobby - Maggie picked them out.

I also painted the vanity in our bathroom and left the dark wax off.  I like that one much better, but I didn't take a picture, of course.  :)  Next time.

Not sure the extra money is worth it for the chalk paint.  The upside - you don't have to sand and prime.  The downside, you have to wax everything; and the paint and wax are pretty expensive.  I'm kind of glad I don't completely love it, because otherwise I'd be bummed that I can't get it in Willmar.
Back in cold Minnesota, Max has his winter coat on.  And would really like for me to clean out my workshop a little bit so he's not constantly climbing over furniture.  What a grump.
To help me out with that, I had a "client" (friend) come and pick out two chairs (recognize one, Judy?) and a little table for me to redo for her.  Pretty hideous, no?
The first step is taking the seats off the chairs and removing the old upholstery.  More staples than I could count.  Blech.
And then sometimes what you're left with is just so bad, you have to cut a new plywood seat and start from scratch. 

My friend had the floral fabric and asked me to pick a red that matched for the other chair.  It looks brighter in the picture than it actually is. 
I used my new favorite spray paint and will never use anything else.  Rustoleum rocks.  I use their industrial grade primer and they now have satin finish in a can.  Worth every penny.  It does not run or drip, totally smooth finish.  I would highly recommend it.

I think the table is actually my favorite.  The design is just a little piece of vinyl that I cut into a flourish.  I was going to hand-paint something on, but this way she can just pull that off if she ever wants a change.
She is also buying a set of shelves, but I think we will be leaving those as is.  (I may wipe the dust off of them for her...I'm nice like that.)

Now, I only have seven more chairs, two desks, two dressers, three end tables, one coffee table, two small shelves, several mirrors, a jewelry box and an antique kitchen cupboard to do something with.  Big plans, my friends.  Big plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment