Friday, October 23, 2009

Why I Run

I am not the world's fastest runner, by any stretch of the imagination. I do not have the best form. I have never won a race, nor do I aspire to do so. Running gives me a sideache sometimes; it makes me breathe too hard and I am unable to carry on a conversation (which makes me a terrible running partner, although Scott doesn't seem to mind). So why do I do it?

It started in high school, when my sister convinced me to go out for cross country. I have run on and off since then. A few years ago, my reasons were to get in shape to compete in a few triathlons and road races, just so I could say that, at one point in my life, I did a traithlon . Recently, my reasons were a little different; mostly to make my pants fit again.

There is one reason I run, however, that is a little less selfish. It's a great time for praise and worship for me. I put on my headphones, crank up the praise music and don't think about the bad form, the heavy breathing or the sideache. I praise God for the beauty around me that He created; I pray for the neighbors whose houses I pass; I thank God for my husband and children and the blessings in my life too numerous to count.

I am a creature of habit. My running route is around the lake. It's rural and quiet and reminds me a little of where I grew up. There is one place where I run on a path through a cornfield - you don't get more Iowa than that! That's where I say a prayer of thanks for my upbringing; a good, solid, Christian, midwest upbringing.

And then I get back on the road and get a little more selfish, and say another prayer to make my sideache go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment